325 Washington St., Suite 302, Waukegan, IL 60085
Salvi & Maher, L.L.C.

Call Us847-662-3303

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Youtube

Hablamos Español

Drivers Traveling at High Speeds Endanger Others

Posted on in Driving Safety

automobile collision, traffic fatalities, Waukegan personal injury attorneys, excessive speeding, car crashIn the early morning of April 2, police located a missing man involved in a late-night car crash in Des Plaines. The vehicle, which carried two occupants, was traveling at excessive speeds when the driver lost control and hit an electrical box and utility pole before ultimately skidding across the road into a ditch. Both passengers sustained injuries and are now in stable condition.

Throughout 2015, well over 300,000 motor vehicle accidents occurred in the state of Illinois. According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, nearly one in every three vehicular collisions involved drivers traveling at high or excessive speeds. Driving at speeds higher than the speed limit endangers both the driver and others on the road.

A recent study conducted by the US Department of Transportation found that the vast majority of American drivers commonly disregard speed limits. If you or a member of your family are injured in an automobile collision, contact our experienced team of Waukegan personal injury attorneys today.

Increase in Traffic Fatalities Related to Speed?

According to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), traffic fatalities have been on the rise nationwide over the last few years. Many have assumed that an increase in cars on the road, combined with increased smartphone technology, could be the culprit. However, the NTSB believes there is only one reason for the recent uptick in roadway deaths: speed.

In the 9 year span between 2005 to 2014, drivers traveling at excessive speeds were involved in collisions that killed 112,580 Americans. To put that in perspective, throughout that same period 112,948 people were killed by drunk drivers. Here in Illinois, high speed drivers were involved in over one-third of all traffic fatalities, and just under 40 percent of all traffic injuries. Regardless of what the statistics say, one fact is clear: speed kills.

Speed Increases Ferocity of Collisions

The increase in fatalities related to speed may not be due to an increased recklessness when traveling at high speeds, but rather basic science. Put simply, the faster a car is moving the more likely fatalities are to occur. The NTSB states that a pedestrian hit while a vehicle is traveling at 30 mph still has a 60 percent chance of survival. Yet when a vehicle is traveling at 40 mph, the pedestrian’s chances of survival are reduced to 40 percent. While cars provide passengers with protection, the same logic can be applied to collisions involving two vehicles— the faster the cars are traveling the more violent the collision will be.

Contact a Lake County Car Accident Lawyer Today

Despite the overwhelming evidence that driving at excessive speeds endangers everyone on roadways, the vast majority of Americans continue to speed. Next time you are on the road, watch out for speeding drivers. Unfortunately, speeding is a major culprit in Illinoisan car accidents. If you or a loved one are injured in a motor vehicle collision, contact our compassionate and knowledgeable team of Waukegan personal injury attorneys.





Avvo Elite Lawyer 10 Best 2016 ASLA 2017 Nation's Top One Percent American Justice Institute Top 10 Chicago Bar Association DuPage County Bar Association Illinois State Bar Association Kane County Bar Association Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Lake County Bar Association McHenry County Bar Association Workers Compensation Lawyers Association Martindale Hubbell 2018 Martindale Hubbell 2018
Back to Top